What's new in V6
Version 6 of the State Web Template has a new look and feel. With improvements that align with the California Design System, V6 sets a modern digital standard.
New patterns section
Content patterns are a brand new addition to the State Web Template. Patterns are reusable combinations of components that solve common user problems. These best practice solutions help users achieve their goals and help ensure consistency across experiences.
The template code was updated to modernize your site's structure and framework. These updates include:
- Rebuilding the framework to use eleventy site generation.
- Replacing server-side includes (SSI) with njk includes and templates.
- Using json files and eleventy logic to generate side navigation and breadcrumbs.
- Separating the sample website from the core code base allowing for a quick and easy start of a new web project.
- Enabled sites to render markdown files in HTML.
With better wayfinding and new side navigation, developing user-friendly websites is easier than ever. Some of these improvements include:
- Active page highlight in the site navigation.
- Robust new side navigation, with more enhancements planned.
- An improved breadcrumb component.
The template, website, and most components have been redesigned to:
- Visually align the structure, typography, and components to the Design System.
- Update page layouts to improve the user experience.
- Enhance the utility of the homepage.
- Added new icons to the icons font library (copy, cut, paste, save, and quotation mark).
We improved the overall design and functionality of all our components.
Components in the V6 release:
- Are consolidated by functionality.
- Enhance the structural components and patterns.
- Improve blockquote, tabs, and accordion components.
V6 includes new page layouts and features to help you find and use the template content you need. Some user experience improvements include:
- A dynamic icon search feature and enhanced icon navigation.
- A sticky side menu to simplify browsing and reduce scrolling.
- Collaboration channels so you can provide feedback and report bugs.
Brand new content
The website content was completely rewritten and expanded, with a focus on usability and plain language. These updates include:
- Usage guidelines for all components and patterns.
- Links to content and design style guides from the Design System.
- Helpful placeholder content for component examples.
- Improved homepage content and a What’s new page that details technical and non-technical changes.
Version 6 of the California State Template boasts of an improved user experience and enhanced wayfinding.
These content and design improvements should be helpful for all members of your digital teams.
Find a complete change log on our GitHub production release page.